How music affects people differently

How music affects people differently

Zainab Mounshed, Reporter

What do you think of when the word music comes to mind? Dancing, crying, cleaning, working out, studying? Whatever the case may be, music stimulates your brain, my brain, and even a dog’s brain. Because studies have shown that classical music makes dogs bark less and sleep more. So you see music does a lot of things in the best way possible and here’s why.

Studies from the Frontiers in Psychology show that music is one of the most universal ways of expression and communication for humankind and is present in the everyday lives of people of all ages and from all cultures around the world (Mehr et al., 2019). 

Listening to music , singing, playing (informally, formally), creating (exploring, composing, improvising), whether individually or or collectively, are common activities for the vast majority of people. Music represents an enjoyable activity in and of itself, but its influence goes beyond simple amusement. Full

Therefore, since music is universal there are many and many students who walk around with music blasting off in their ears as they roam the halls to either go to class, lunch, or the bus. So with that being said Rhian Crawford, senior, happens to be one of them. 

After being asked what her favorite genre of music is, Rhian had a hard time with just choosing one so we switched it up to three and she said 

“My top three favorite music genres are Rnb, Contemporary, and Trap music, “ Rhian said.

Which is common for people because many people love more than one genre of music, Rhian said music helps her when she’s sad and angry. 

“Music helps me because I feel like if i haven’t listened to music I would have spazzed out on somebody and just not be me,” she said.

Western country and southern gospel are her favorite genres of music, Natlia Datcher said. 

“Matter a fact me and my husband are going on a cruise because our favorite Southern Gospel Djs will be there.” 

Studies have shown that if music never existed our brains would most likely not be as developed as they are now and our bodies may not be as evolved to today’s standards. Because music affects us mentally and physically. 

Datcher said she doesn’t think she could live without music.  

“I’d be one sad person without music, I’d be dead!” Datcher said.