The Suicide And Bullying Problem.

Jadaisa+Burns.

Josh Wells

Jadaisa Burns.

Josh Wells, Reporter

Bullying and suicide is a epidemic in our nation, with the number ever increasing.

That is why one Bowie Senior Jadaisa Burns Spoke to students and parents about bullying on November 7. 

“Bullying is a serious personal struggle” she said.

She thinks that these topics have become a desensitized topic among teens, and that the only way to counter these effect is to raise awareness. She spoke of her own experiences with bullying and gave these words to people who find themselves in bullying situations.

“To not let it limit them,” Burns said. “… You do not have to let them decide you.” 

She asked what is bullying?

“Bullying is when you try to control someone, and belittle them,” a parent said.

There are four types of bullying: verbal, physical, relational, and cyberbullying. Cyberbullying is the fastest and the most popular form of bullying. She warned students and parents alike of the most popular forms of bullying occur on platforms like Snapchat, Twitter, and Instagram. To give testament to how these issues affect our school a BHS counselor Stephanie Threets also spoke.

“In November alone, 4 kids have talked about having suicide ideation,” Threets said.

She also says bullying is a common topic in her meetings with kids. However there is hope if you are having these dark thoughts that there are numbers to call to remain anonymous. You can call Friends for Life at 817-469-8477 or the National Suicide Hotline at 1-800-273-8255.