Senioritis

Jaime Alcala, Online Editor

Senioritis: A supposed affliction of students in their final year of high school or college, characterized by a decline in motivation or performance.

It’s 11:43 P.M. Deadline for that English paper assignment? 12:00 A.M. I have 146 words out of the 200 I need to submit my assignment and get a good, non-late grade. My mind goes blank while my body panics about the impending doom that is a late grade and loss of motivation. I’m lost, I’m scared, I’m hurt…how did I get to this point? Procrastination. Don’t shake your head at me, you’ve procrastinated before, don’t lie.

Many students in America feel this way too.

As this is my final year at James Bowie High School, I seem to be having the effects of what is known as “Senioritis”. Yes, I am a victim and I am trying to get my life together.

Sorry, but this isn’t the perfect, wonderful reality I had hoped for when I started my senior year. This is horrible. But, I am trying to improve.

I didn’t choose the senioritis, the senioritis CHOSE me.

All my classmates are thinking the same thing: Graduation. That is the ultimate seniors Nirvana at this point. We’ve been photographed for our senior portraits, we’ve already ordered cap and gowns and our senior 2017 gear.

Heck, my tassel is hanging right now in front of my mirror..”Inspiration and motivation”  

Overall, I honestly do feel Senioritis is a real condition and a harmful one. As student’s lose motivation, grades decline and some teachers lose motivation as well.

Teenagers at this point are tired. Just tired. The amount of stress we have already with college applications, jobs, interviews, maintaining good grades, driving safely, babysitting (in some cases), maintaining good sleep amounts, being healthy and operating 100%, parents’ expectations, friendships, internships, and so on and so forth.

Senior year is hard enough without more and more stress coming our way. So in result, yeah, Senioritis is a real pain. But, it’s something we can overcome, as long as we don’t lose motivation and inspiration for what is to come: Graduation.

And prom.